These categories are just loose. There’s a lot of overlap from time to time. Note: Descriptions in quotation marks are taken directly from the show’s website. They can say it better than I can.
Political & Activism
- Revolutionary Left Radio — “Rev Left is a podcast that explores political philosophy, history, science, religion, culture, art, and struggle through a socialist lens.” (Home page is here.)
- Guerrilla History — “Guerrilla History is a sister podcast of Rev Left Radio and Red Menace which provides a reconnaissance report on proletarian history.”
- Red Menace — A sister podcast of Revolutionary Left and Guerrilla History.
- Decolonized Buffalo Podcast — “a multi-hosted podcast, that is focused on decolonial theories, music, lifestyle and current events.”
- Bands of Turtle Island — “A podcast for indeginous people by indeginous people, aims to give a platform to the oppressed”.
- Red Power Hour Podcast — “Indigenous members of The Red Nation gather round the laptop to chat about the latest from Indian Country with merciless Indian humor.”
- The Red Nation Podcast — “The Red Nation Podcast features discussions on Indigenous history, politics, and culture from a left perspective.”
- Wósdéé Podcast — “Wósdéé is a Navajo podcast focused on issues within Indigenous communities ranging from history, art, and politics.”
- By Any Means Necessary —
- David Harvey’s Anti-Capitalist Chronicles — “a bimonthly podcast that looks at capitalism through a Marxist lens.” (Also, check out his courses on Reading Capital.)
- Future Left Podcast — “a podcast and sometimes blog about all things at the intersection of left politics and ‘futurism.’ We’re explicitly interested in topics revolving around technology, climate change, and alternative economic and social arrangements. “
- The Sensible Socialist — “The point of the podcast is to inform listeners and to be a place where social justice is something genuinely discussed and not a virtue signal at which to broadcast.”
History & Journalism
- You’re Wrong About — “Mike and Sarah are journalists obsessed with the past. Every week they reconsider an event, person or phenomenon that’s been miscast in the public imagination.”
- Maintenance Phase — “Each Tuesday, Michael Hobbes (You’re Wrong About) and Aubrey Gordon (Your Fat Friend) debunk the junk science behind health & wellness fads, and decode their cultural meaning.”
Funny / Weird / Horror
- The What Cast — Cryptids, paranormal, mysterious happenings. Hosted by Mike and Mateo. NSFW
- The Cryptonaut Podcast — “Welcome to the Cryptonaut Podcast hosted by Marc Storrs, Chris Carnicelli and Rob Morphy. Exploring everything from Cryptozoology, Paranormal Phenomenon, Ufology, Unsolved Mysteries, Conspiracies and The Occult…. all while keeping a close eye on our reptilian overlords that dwell in the flat, hallow, robot infested Earth. This is the Cryptonaut Podcast.” (Also check out their site at https://www.cryptopia.us/site/.) NSFW
- The Magnus Archives — “The Magnus Archives is a weekly horror fiction anthology podcast examining what lurks in the archives of the Magnus Institute, an organisation dedicated to researching the esoteric and the weird. Join new head archivist Jonathan Sims as he attempts to bring a seemingly neglected collection of supernatural statements up to date, converting them to audio and supplementing them with follow-up work from his small but dedicated team.” Note: Start at the beginning and binge the whole thing. You will not be sorry. My favorite podcast for walking around in the dark on windy autumn evenings.
- There are more socialism podcasts listed here.
- My favorite app for downloading podcasts on Linux is gPodder. (Relax, it’s also available for Mac and Windows.)
Published on: 2 January 2021
Lasted edited on: 2 January 2021