While traditional Chex Mix is good, the recipe is flexible enough that people never stop tinkering with it. Here’s my version of taco flavored snack mix.
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) butter
- 1 packet of taco seasoning mix (1.25 oz)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 3 cups wheat squares cereal
- 3 cups corn squares cereal
- 3 cups rice squares cereal
- 1 cup pretzels
- 1 cup peanuts
- 1 cup corn chips (Fritos, or anything similar)
- Preheat your oven to 250º.
- Cut the butter into small pieces and place in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on low just until melted.
- Stir the taco seasoning, chili powder, and hot sauce into the butter.
- When the oven comes to temperature, combine the cereals, pretzels, peanuts, and corn chips in a large baking pan. (I use a full size half deep commercial pan for this.) Drizzle the butter mixture over and stir well until everything is combined.
- Bake for one hour, stirring every fifteen minutes. When the mix is done, pour it onto a paper-towel lined sheet to cool.
The nutritional information (based on 16 servings) looks like this:
This is, needless to say, not something you want to make every day. But for special occasions, it’s great. It does have a good amount of fiber in it, but it also has a lot of sodium. I always use a low-sodium taco seasoning mix for this. (The nutrition information above is with regular taco seasoning.)
This is good stuff!Except for material released under a Creative Commons License: ©2019 Kenneth John Odle All Rights ReservedPermalink for this article: