Image from

I didn’t have to work Sunday, which meant I had Saturday night off (I’ll explain that later), so I brought my checkbook up to date (depressing) and balanced it for the last two months (also depressing), and then feeling I needed (and deserved) a little pick-me-up, I did a short episode (number five) of Project Wideawake.

Doing a podcast is a somewhat complicated affair. I use GarageBand as a mixing board, laying down my voice tracks and adding in music and sound effects, and very roughly controlling the levels of the different tracks. Once everything is arranged the way I like it, I then export it to disk. Unfortunately, GarageBand (or at least the six-year-old version I have) only allows me to export it as an .m4a file. So I then have to import it into Audacity, where I export it as an .mp3 and add artist, album, year, and track information. I then upload it to my server using Transmit (an awesome and inexpensive FTP client for Mac), write the actual post where I link to the .mp3 file, and publish the post.

Somewhere in that process, I accidentally deleted most of the voice tracks from the GarageBand file before I exported it as a song. I don’t know how I did that, and I don’t have a good reason for not checking it before I got too far along in the process, other than I was tired and in a hurry.

I should have realized this when I imported the file into Audacity, because it gives you a nice soundwave picture, and there were obvious gaps indicating pure silence. I did notice, but they just didn’t register. I should have looked more closely at the monitor.

So I’m going to go back and record new voice tracks to replace the ones I deleted. Obviously, they will be different from what I originally recorded, and I will have to rearrange things. I’ll update the post when it’s finished.


For better or worse, it’s done. You can listen to it here.
Creative Commons LicenseThis work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.Permalink for this article: